It’s unclear who exactly started this trend, but over the past decade or so, recreating the photos you took in your youth has become a popular project.
The main two ways that this idea can go down either involves a younger member of the family recreating one of their forebears’ photos or an adult recreating a childhood photo. While both approaches can be powerful and serious, the latter usually yields much funnier results.
And whether the goal is to show how far the people in the photos have come or just put them into awkward positions, the results are always pretty wholesome and we love to see it.
1. This is an unusual take on the photo recreation challenge, but the results are pretty cool nonetheless.
Since the uploader’s grandma has lived in the same house for over 50 years, he was able to splice a photo of himself at 14-months-old into a visit he made when he was 23.
As we can see, the results are pretty seamless.
2. This man’s recreation of his childhood unimpressed expression is great, but what really makes this is the effort put in to recreating the outfit.
Let’s be honest, who among us wouldn’t buy that “look at me, I’m 26” shirt? That dinosaur doesn’t get any less rad with age.
3. It’s unclear how old these two were in the first photo, but we do know they were taken 50 years apart.
I’ve got to say, this brother and sister seem a lot happier to be there in 2017 than they did in 1967.
It’s unclear how old these two were in the first photo, but we do know they were taken 50 years apart.
4. As graduation traditions go, this has to be one of the more wholesome I’ve ever seen.
Although the daughter is clearly the one graduating in the second photo, she nonetheless nailed the same sleepy expression she had as a baby.
5. In both photos we see here, the person on the left is supporting their spouse after they made it through a major hardship in their lives.
In the photo from 1959, the woman is joining hands with her husband after a military tour of duty. In the photo from 2019, he’s supporting her after she underwent chemotherapy.
6. In the decades between these photos, this man has lived to reach his 100th birthday.
Although there are some clear differences in his glasses and hair, that smile shines just as brightly as it did back in 1928. That’s always nice to see.
7. 15 years is a long time for a dog, but this pup remains as devoted to its young friend as ever.
I suppose he didn’t quite feel it was necessary to put a pacifier in his mouth for the recreation. We get the idea anyway, right?
8. It’s not entirely clear how much time has passed between these photos, but I imagine the answer is “enough.”
It’s certainly obvious that this adorable pup has a grown a lot since it was wearing that sweater, but it’s just as excited about feeding time.
9. While it’s certainly cute to see a kid and a dog grow up together, that sweetness isn’t limited to the animal kingdom.
As this young woman said, a tree like this can very much feel like an old friend if it’s always been in your life.
10. Considering that a lot of time has clearly passed here, it’s almost surprising how little about this place has changed.
That said, the age of the car in the first photo creates a distorted impression of the first time this person stood here in Wells, British Columbia.
It was taken in 1995, while the second photo was taken in 2010. So “only” 15 years passed here.
11. Sometimes, it’s simply not possible to recreate things exactly as they were.
Nowhere is that clearer than in the way the young man in putting his hands on this woman’s shoulders.
It’s almost hard to spot that he’s doing that as an adult just because he’s so much taller than he was when he first did it.
12. A lot changed for these two in 20 years, but some were easier to anticipate than others.
And no, I’m not referring to the apparent fact that at least one of them works on Wall Street now. I’m talking about that total turnaround on how he feels about Windows 98.
13. Although he apparently wasn’t able to get his hands on a sizeable basketball this time, this man went to some lengths to recreate his childhood photo.
As he explained, he’s become bored enough in recent times to bring back the bowl cut he had when he was six-years-old after what he describes as “a 25-year hiatus.”
14. Not only did this man nail the expression he had as a baby, but he even managed to find a similar bib.
I guess it’s not surprising that he would have roughly the same low opinion of baby food as an adult.
15. Although modern photography tends to lack the same warm hue of old photos, this is still a pretty faithful recreation.
After all, the man in the center looks appropriately transfixed by the hot dog he’s eating and that’s the important thing.
16. In this recreation, however, it was a lot easier to mimic the black-and-white shot they used back in 1994.
It’s unfortunate that the teddy bear in the first photo apparently didn’t survive the 26 years that followed, but it’s also not very surprising.
Kids can be a little rough with their toys.
17. It’s not often that we can tie our photo recreations to momentous events that made international headlines, but this man jumped at the opportunity.
Although he had a whole Berlin Wall to chip away at as a kid, now it’s just the air in front of someone on a bike.
He recreated his outfit very well, though.
18. Unlike many of the examples we’ve seen today, this woman actually put on the very same outfit she wore as a kid.
Since it was supposed to match her American Girl doll, it’s easy to see why that would be such an important part of the picture.
As she said, “Okay, so the skirt doesnt zip and the blouse is a belly shirt now, but still.” And indeed, the fact that she even still had it is pretty impressive.
19. 15 years later, these siblings did a pretty good job to match the expressions they had as kids.
According to the sister in this photo, it excludes one of her brothers, but that’s simply because he wasn’t born yet when the first picture was taken.
20. Back in 1998, a young girl’s parents had her goof around in a bathing suit while her brother stood in the background.
20 years later, that was made all the more iconic by their solid recreation. It seems the brother got himself a much more expensive camera in the interim, though.